Animal travel information
Home > airfreight > Industries > Live animal logistics > Animal travel information

Animal travel information




If you want your animal to travel, you can make a offer request via our online form, and we will send you a suitable rate. Here you will find all flight options and associated costs. We also supply an approved transport kennel if desired. The kennel becomes your property and you can keep it at your destination. For the quotation and transport of your animal it is very important that we have the right dimensions because the animal may not fly in too small kennel but certainly not in too large a kennel either. On this site under transportation boxes you will find instructions on how to best measure your animal.


In order to book, you can fill in the booking form on this website. With this, you give us the order to make a reservation for your animal(s) at an airline. The period in which reservations can be made with airlines varies between 30 to 12 days before departure, as flights are not opened for animal bookings earlier than this. As soon as we have received a booking confirmation from the airline, you will receive confirmation from us with an overview of all information about the journey of your animal. That includes among others the current flight schedule, how late your animal should be with us or at what time we'll pick up the animal at your home, as well as further information in preparation of the flight.


Pets must be present with us about five hours before departure. This has to do with the preparation of various documents including the consignment note and the arrangement of the customs formalities. Four hours before departure, we will deliver your pet to the airline so that they have enough time to prepare everything for a comfortable journey for your pet. It is therefore extremely important that we deliver your animal to the airline on time. We can collect your pet from you and of course it is also possible to bring your pet(s) to us.

Preparing for departure

We advise you not to feed your pet 12 hours before departure. This has 2 reasons:
  1. Keeping the kennel clean from any defecation.
  2. The prevention of nausea.
Animals can become nauseated by the movements of the aircraft in combination with the altitude. Of course, water can be given. You must proceed on the assumption that your pet won;t be walked again within 4 hours of departure. Exceptions to this are KLM, they walk dogs 2 hours before departure. It is advisable to take a good long walk with a dog well before we deliver it to the airline. Before we can send pets, they must meet a number of standard conditions:
  1. They must be in possession of a passport;
  2. They must have a microchip (must be placed before the rabies vaccination);
  3. For almost all destinations they must be vaccinated against rabies;
  4. A health certificate is valid for almost all destinations within one week of departure.

Traveling within the EU

All dogs, cats and ferrets need an EU passport when they travel abroad. The EU passport is issued by your veterinarian. All dogs, cats and ferrets must have been vaccinated against rabies. Rabies vaccinations can/may start from 12 weeks. There is a travel waiting time of 21 days before the animal can travel within the EU. Puppies or kittens can only travel within the EU from 15 weeks of age onward. Your veterinarian can give the vaccinations and is also authorised to make a note of the vaccination in the EU passport. Owners are obliged to have an identification (microchip) applied to their animal.


Below you will find information about the conditions for transporting pets to Australia. The rules have been laid down by AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services). Strict requirements are imposed for the introduction of your pet to Australia. The only quarantine station in Australia is in Melbourne so your pet will first have to fly to Melbourne before it can fly to other Australian destinations. Blood tests will also have to be taken and the preparations for moving your pet will have to begin at least 210 days (= 7 months) before departure. It starts with vaccination against rabies. A blood test (rabies titre determination) is followed at least 30 days later. The day of the blood test is decisive for the date your pet is allowed to enter Australia, this is 180 days after the blood test. As soon as a positive result is achieved, this will have to be legalised at the nVWA in Utrecht. Here you will receive an RNATT form. With this form you can apply for an import license online at the Aqis: Send an email to Animal Import Operations Branch Send a fax to +61 2 6272 3110; or Send a mail to Animal Import Operations Branch: GPO Box 858, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia The moment you obtain an import license you also receive an empty health certificate. This is part of the import permit and covers the last 3 to 4 pages of the permit. This certificate states all tests that have to be done within 45 days before departure. If all tests are positive, your veterinarian must complete this certificate and then you take all documentation to the nVWA in Utrecht (phone: 088-223 2100 option 1) to have everything legalised. On the day of departure you are in possession of the following: Legalised by nVWA:
  • RNATT form
  • passport (chip number and date of placement must be stated)
  • import permit
  • fully completed health certificate
  • all test results
And also a quarantine place for 10 days in Melbourne. VCK can also arrange transport from Melbourne to another destination within Australia.  

Other animals

Zoo animals

Zoo animals that have to be transported are often used for breeding programs in order to maintain the population of these rare and often impressive animals. To avoid unnecessary stress, transport is kept to a minimum and extreme care must be taken. Zoo animals must also be transported in transport boxes that comply with the IATA guidelines. We can also create a custom transport box, suitable for zoo animals.


Transporting various types of cattle often has the purpose of adding new bloodlines to existing herds. Transport by air requires some preparation. Flight options, the right transport-box size and import requirements of the destination country are, among other things, important pieces of information to finally arrive at a definitive overview of the possibilities. Cattle must also be transported in transport crates that meet the requirements of IATA. If the shipper does not have one, we can create a suitable custom transport box.

Birds and Exotic animals

For the transport of birds and exotic animals it is of great importance to first determine the scientific name of the animal. On the basis of this we can determine which packaging/transport boxes to use and which possibilities there are to transport the animal to the desired final destination. Not all airlines accept birds and exotic animals. As such, transport options for these animal species are limited. You should take into account the following:
  • Maximum amount of animals per package;
  • Young birds that are still dependent on the mother may not be transported, birds must be able to eat independently;
  • The shipper is responsible for supplying feed and water containers if applicable, on delivery before departure, however, it must be checked whether the supplied feed and other materials are in accordance with the rules of the country of transit and/or the country of destination;
  • If it concerns sealed boxes, interim feeding is not possible, the shipper must take this into account;
  • It must be possible to replenish water containers from outside at all times.
CITES: you need permits and certificates for the international trade in and transport of endangered/protected animal species. This applies not only to commercial trade but also to all imports and exports of these species. For a number of endangered species, trade is even completely prohibited. Several countries have already made agreements about this in 1974. Meanwhile, some 180 countries have signed this so-called CITES convention (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild fauna and flora). The permits and/or certificates come from the CITES office. The CITES office is part of the Regulations Department of the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (LNV).  An amount will be charged for obtaining a permit and/or certificate. For a number of protected animal species there is a ban on possession in the Netherlands, this is described in Art. 13 Flora and Fauna Act. If you are in possession of such an animal, you need a property exemption. For more information about Cites, please contact the CITES office: or the Ministry of Agriculture of the exporting country.

SCS pand bellsingel 1000x400

SCS pand bellsingel 1000x400

SCS pand bellsingel 1000x400

SCS pand bellsingel 1000x400


Meld u aan voor de nieuwsbrief middels onderstaand formulier.